9.17.2007

Monday

Tonight I left work and walked to yoga in my python heels. I was carrying a leather tote plus two other bags––large, shiny cardboard-stiff boutique bags full of manuscript, Elle magazine, flats, yoga clothes, tupperware, and sneakers.

The brick buildings glowed in amber light. I was lulled by the easy click-clack rhythm of the heels; first gritty and stacatto, on cement; then, when I hit the West Village, drawling on slate. It was still 45 minutes till class.

I stopped at Miguelina on Bleecker and ran my fingers down the silk blouses: violet, ginger, aquamarine.

I strolled to Magnolia Bakery. I picked the cupcake with the largest icing crown: a huge helmet of lemon-colored sugarbutter with tiny pebble sprinkles, all perched on a little round of yellow cake. Two dollars, please.

I slipped 2 bags to the crook of my arm, squeezed the cupcake gingerly in a sheath of wax paper, and slowly crossed the street. I sat down on a green wood bench, my bags spreading out and nestling in on all sides. Dry leaves scudded over bricks and cement.

I peeled back the wax paper. A little icing was stuck to the paper. I combed my teeth over the spot and felt the sweetness dissolve between my tongue and the roof of my mouth.

I leaned in and lopped off a chunk of icing and cake with my front teeth.

Mmmmmm.

1 comment:

Peculiar Progressive said...

Tuesday, September 4, 2007
WHEN LOVE WAS A FUDGESICLE

When love was a fudgesicle shaped like a
frosted, mud-coated cathedral window
hoisted on a tongue depressor (say ahh),
we would nibble, lick, suck, and wonder how
its slick, dwindling mass still managed to melt,
stream with reckless speed down our tiny, pale
pirate’s plank, drool and dry until it felt
like tar stuck on our thumbs and fingernails.
Palates and lips numb from cold, we’d bear all
suffering; result to scraping wet wood
with our teeth when those last stubborn lumps called
for risky measures. Sometimes splinters would
curl up, find a gum, take pain to new heights—
pinpoint omens of future lonely nights.



Roger Armbrust
July 27, 2007