5.19.2004

A Moment of Unclarity

I know Elvin Jones had been ill for a long time, and his passing should be no surprise, but I'm hurting. For weeks now, I have been in a prolonged awestruck state listening to his drumming, specifically on "India" from Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard. Something about it has gotten under my skin.

Listen -- he plays the riff differently each time. I try counting and can't always pinpoint where it begins or ends. It lulls me into some other place. And then of course, Coltrane (and Dolphy, yes?) bust a gut. But instead of spiking and plummeting, it's as if they are skating in circles around Elvin.

I don't know how I'll ever get there, but someday I hope to make music that feels like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there...this afternoon on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross there will be an interview all about Elvin Jones..just thought you might want to listen. just a fan from ohio who found your cd used and I took a listen...wow, great stuff, voice lyrics.
Christina from Ohio :)

Erica said...

Thanks, Christina! WKCR had been running Elvin stuff pretty continuously -- they might still be doing so.

I'm glad you're enjoying the CD!

Anonymous said...

Also I hope you did not find it insulting that I found your cd "used." I guess it's always a good thing your music is out there even if only paid for once..I also found that you are available thru cdbaby so that is a good thing...and I found another album of yours...well take care.

Erica said...

No, I'm not offended at all. I'm a big fan of musical recycling!