2.17.2005

Need Recommendations

I rented Annie Hall and hated it. The acting was bad and I guess I take all the psychoanalytic gab for granted.

I rented Four Weddings and a Funeral and hated it. I don't see why we're supposed to think that 2 people casually torturing each other is cute.

I need to watch movies that are smart, silly, romantic, and classy. Old or new movies -- I don't care. (Preferably old: the actors dress better.)

Suggestions please.

ps. I saw Bridget Jones and I liked it a lot -- just so you don't think I'm a total sourpuss.

6 comments:

Erica said...

I've opened my heart to Woody Allen movies many times, and considering that during my wild years I had a pattern of seduction during Woody Allen films, you could say I've opened other things, too. Perhaps as a result of this youthful zeal, I never really got his vibe down. Hannah is definitely due for a revisit.

No one else thinks Diane Keaton sounded as if she were reading the script off the back of her hand?

Anonymous said...

I'm a little astonished by the ANNIE HALL diss, too. And yet I'll see Velvet's HANNAH and raise you a CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS. Smart, silly, romantic, classy: DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, THE WEDDING BANQUET, BRINGING UP BABY, INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, SOME LIKE IT HOT, DUCK SOUP, NOTORIOUS.

Anonymous said...

1) Yes, to any Marx Brothers movie - "Duck Soup" is fantastic! 2) Have you seen "The Women"? Fantastic actresses and clothes from the 40's I believe 3) for something more modern, the Spiderman I & II were much better than I expected

Anonymous said...

Annie Hall took a few times for it to really catch with me. Funny thing, I just bought a used copy on DVD.
Here is a list, my list, of smart...funny....serious, love in places: Safe mainstream films.

The Last Days Of Chez Nous

Truly Madly Deeply

Stealing Beauty

The Enlgish Patient

Hannah and Her Sisters (my fav Woody film)

Huband and Wives

Angel at my Table

emily said...

Love Actually

Erica said...

Ah, thanks, Mi. I had almost forgotten the charms of Monty Python. However, judging from the last time I saw the tv series -- ooh, i hope it's rentable -- I should make sure I pee *first*.