10.27.2005

The New Black

It has been said that this season, black is the new black. I can dig it. Sometimes it's just so right.

I put on light grey pants this morning and they just didn't flow for me. They made me feel vaguely like a wuss. I switched them out for pedal-to-the-metal noir. Black wool pinstripe trousers, black tee, black wrap sweater. Black leather jacket.

However, even in such a petulant mood, one could benefit from a little spark. My boss, who has an amazing intuition for garment design and color theory, calles it the "kicker color." Or rather, she's Australian so it's "kick-ah cuhl-ah."

I apply it thus: when you're feeling noir, viva le blood-red handbag.

These are the little amusements that keep me going. I fear I am becoming an automaton: sleeping, working, knitting in front of the television. One must fight the good fight -- William Packard taught me that. Right now I'm using that advice as leverage to help whup out a few more songs. But it's slow going.

What is the emotional equivalent of a kicker color?

I have noticed one phenomenon. I was sifting through a drawer of huge plastic crochet hooks recently and started blushing. Studying piles of cable-knit swatches today, my eyes followed the pretzel, braid, and diamond patterns in their ever-increasing intricacy -- twisting and pulling and splitting apart and linking up again -- until I grew positively dizzy.

Ah, Eros. You scamp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's harder in the emotional realm to decide what's the basic color scheme and what's the kicker color. You might spend more of your time doing work than doing art, or love - does that mean that work is the "black"? Some people harmonize their lives around an endeavor that looks like a kicker color to others.

Erica said...

Like fashion, one's emotional palette can be so fickle, even a basic color scheme can be revolutionary under the right circumstances. And some people drink vodka for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

The Bean is so pleased that black is back in, as his "palette" is quite limited. On a completely different topic, have you checked out www.dogcatradio.com? It's featured in Wednesday's NYT (see it here! http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/02/arts/02pet.html?adxnnl=1&8hpib=&adxnnlx=1130913522-TzcScFhRpOMmvCKgbd5kdQ)