10.13.2004

I live under a rock, but it still doesn't make sense to me why why why people are so nostalgic for the 80s.

I remember it as a sad time of really bad fashion (shoulder pads, neon accessories, high waisted pants) bad haircuts (even Emmylou had a bi-level) and marginal pop music (I can't get that damn Patti La Belle/Michael McDonald song outta my head since Saturday's SNL).

Much of the music seems more interesting in retrospect, but still.

Do people see the 80s as a more innocent time and really love it, or do they just find it campy?

Am I just having an allergic reaction to reminders of my gawky adolescence?

Please weigh in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi E! You don't live under a rock! I think people are nostalgic for the 80's because it's something new to be nostalgic for. I mean, 60's and 70's nostalgia is already played out. Hang onto your flannels, because I'm sure the 90's will be back by 2005. How was apple pickin'? - LG.

Erica said...

But the 80s were nostalgic for the 50s, and we're nostalgic for both now. There's nostalgia accrual happening. Do these days roll over at the end of the year? If I tap out my nostalgia days, do I have to take them unpaid?

We didn't get to pick apples but had fun nonetheless. And I owe you an apology for pulling a 3rd Avenue flake-out last week. How was the gig? I had a deadline and melted down a little. Please forgive me.

Dan Sallitt said...

Nostalgia seems to happen about twenty years later, so I guess it's the 80s' turn.

The 80s are my least favorite decade for movies and my least favorite for music. But whatever. I just hope off-the-shoulder sweaters don't make a comeback.