12.05.2003

The Inaugural Post

The universe is a lodging house for myriad things, and time itself is a travelling guest of the centuries. This floating life is like a dream. How often can one enjoy oneself?
-- from " A Night Feast," Li Bai (Li Po) tr. Lin Yutang


Welcome to my blog. I don't know what's going to happen here, but starting one seemed like the right thing to do right now. Perhaps with a coherent way to express my thoughts, it will keep smoke from coming out my ears all the time.

Anonymous or no? A little of each. I don't feel like advertising this right now. I spend enough time trying to "advertise" myself in other contexts; it's wearying and bad for the soul. On the other hand, I think trying to stay anonymous here is futile. And there's a kind of rush that comes with speaking your mind, consequences be damned.

Seduction is about masking and unmasking. I've never gotten the balance quite right. I don't expect this will be much different, but what can you do but throw yourself into the unknown?

Until next time . . .

No comments: